August began on Thursday, and that brings exciting news for Portland fans: Panther football is back.
Senior dual-threat quarterback Caleb Mandrell returns for his final year of eligibility, as do junior tailbacks Dylan Gulley, Cade Box and Devyn Fuqua. That experienced rushing attack could help the Panthers improve on their 6-5 finish from last year, which ended with a 50-6 loss to Jackson South Side in the first round of the 4A playoffs.
Portland coach Greg Cavanah and his team have already begun preparations for their Aug. 23 season opener. The team strapped on full pads last Monday and still have a few scrimmages remaining.
Here are the key dates to know as the Portland season approaches:
- Monday, July 22: Practice in helmets and shoulder pads began
- Monday, July 29: Practice in full pads began
- Friday, Aug. 2: Scrimmage at East Robertson – 6 p.m.
- Thursday, Aug. 8: Scrimmage vs. Macon County – 6 p.m.
- Monday, Aug. 12: Scrimmage at Stratford – 6 p.m.
- Friday, August 16: Jamboree vs. Westmoreland – 6:30 p.m.
- Friday, August 23: Season opener vs. Edmondson County (Ky.) – 6 p.m. (Played at Warren East HS in Bowling Green)
Be sure to get your copy of the 2019 Sumner County Football Guide in the Tuesday, Aug. 20 edition of The Portland Sun for a full breakdown of the Panthers.